Author Topic: SOLVED Where to store a backup  (Read 10372 times)

Offline Mwcats

• View Profile
SOLVED Where to store a backup
« on: May 15, 2015, 11:47:04 am »
Hi again Shane!

A hopefully simple question for you.  I recently had to reinstall an older version of Windows 7 on my HP.  After that I had to download a quazillion Windows Updates going back to 2009.  Everything is running just like new now.  Couldn't have done it without you!  Have I said thank you enough?   :smiley:

So my question...I downloaded Aomei Backupper Standard (free) and made a back up as of today.  It sits on my desktop so the back up is on the C drive also.  If I understand correctly, this backup includes all the updates, and programs I have loaded since the reinstall, so I am a little concerned about it being on the same drive.  Can I upload this backup to my OneDrive just in case I should ever have to do another reinstall and bypass all those older updates?  I see where I could put it on a CD or flash but using OneDrive would be easier to keep updated as new backups are made.

Thanks for any help!
« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 07:48:20 am by Mwcats »

Offline Samson

• View Profile
Re: Where to store a backup
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2015, 12:43:50 pm »

You are right, if your "C" Drive dies, then so does your backup. Better to store the backup on another separate HDD, preferably an external one.

The problem that I see by using OneDrive is being able to access it. Will your backup software, when booting from a rescue CD or USB (in the event of total HDD failure), be able to access it?

A good guide here.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows7/where-should-i-save-my-backup

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2015, 01:37:43 pm »
There are different ways to backup, I use a faster backup approach.

1. Always backup to a different drive, in this case I backup to my external drives. The reaosn why is you never backup to the same drive as when the drive dies the backup will go with it.

2. I only backup what I cant replace. Anything I can reinstall I dont backup. So if my system goes down I reinstall my software but I have all my documents, pictures and such, basically the things that cant be replaced, where a program can always be reinstalled.

Now I do it this way because I have a LOT of data and I find that trying to restore Windows from a backup is never easy.

BUT some users may not want that or the reinstall process might be VERY time consuming. Just like for some of my customers, most of them who have simple setups I just do the backup of important stuff only. But other customers who have a large amount of software and settings, a CPA's computer for instance, he has 10 different versi0ons of quickbooks and others installed for his business. His computer would be a nightmare to get everything reinstalled.

For him I have it do a total and complete backup. I had him buy Acronis backup and it does a good job at it, it also has an option of restoring the machine to new and different hardware, something you cant normally do.

But that cost money and to be honest there are SO MANY different backup programs out there that I dont know which is the best to use and which is just a crap program.

So while I can give you the proper pointers of backing up and all that, the one thing I cant say for sure is which backup program for you to use. The reason why is I simply havent used a lot of them let alone all of them. Also since I just do a nice easy file copy type backup only I dont know which programs out there will be easiest for you to use.

So that means you will have to test a few out, just make sure you are backing up to an external drive!  :wink:

Shane

Offline Mwcats

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2015, 06:49:25 am »
Thanks guys for the quick replies!

I always upload my photos, music and documents to OneDrive and sometimes even a program zip or set up I don't won't to lose, such as games.

I was hoping since I set Aomei to back up weekly, and the file would therefore change often, I could just store the Aomei back up file each time to my OneDrive and then should I ever need it, download it and burn to CD or flash.  Then I could keep it current with all the updates and such and only need to burn once (even from another computer) should the need arise. 

But to be safe, I will back up to CD every so often.  I really appreciate the answer!!

Have a great weekend! 

Offline Samson

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2015, 07:59:35 am »
I'd still look into getting an external HDD, the price per GB has really dropped and 1TB or 2TB drives can be picked up for a relatively low price, depends on how much you value your data and time really  :wink:

You will only find out how good your backup stategy is when you need it.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: SOLVED Where to store a backup
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2015, 02:11:43 pm »
External drive is a must now a days. Mainly because the speed of dvd burning is slow and getting the data off, where as with a hard drive you have much better speeds, and a heck of a lot more space instead of trying to use a bunch of cds or dvds :wink:

Not to mention, get the cd or dvd scratched and so much for that data lol

Some people like online backups, I personally dont like them, I have a LOT of data and it would take forever and I dont want others to be in control of my data. But if you dont have a ton of data then online storage is a way to go as well. Again though, after a certain size it becomes slow as well. Imagine trying to backup or restore 80 GB or more over your internet connection.

Shane
« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 02:22:57 pm by Shane »

Offline Samson

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2015, 02:21:03 pm »
Some people like online backups, I personally dont like them, I have a LOT of data and it would take forever and I dont want others to be in control of my data.

If you substitute the word "cloud" for "someone else's computer", then it does n't sound so attractive  :wink:

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2015, 02:22:02 pm »
If you substitute the word "cloud" for "someone else's computer", then it does n't sound so attractive  :wink:

LOL, exactly :-)

Shane