Author Topic: Resolved Help! potential issues with windows update to microsoft office  (Read 9354 times)

Offline Disneyzell

• View Profile
I have, apparently, alot of issues.  I was travelling this week and when i got home last night my family informed me that our computer was having issues. It would not open any word files, and skype was acting weird.  My assumption, as always, was that my youngest downloaded some malware which he has been known to do.  I started poking around but noticed some weird things...when I reboot I get an office 2010 install error

I searched through google to no avail...then I went looking to restore (figuring my youngest did something while I was gone).  System restore was turned off (I know not by me as I used it not long ago in a similar situation).  I turned system restore back on...but of course since it was off I do not have a restore point.  Nice. 

I then went to see what the latest installs were...figuring I could back out whatever my youngest installed and that may solve the problem.  When I went to see the latest install...there were about 30 things installed by microsoft on an update to microsoft office. 

I went to microsoft to get them to help me, and then got online with me to see if they could help me "for free", and the first thing they did was a malware scan which showed some stuff...so they washed their hands of me, and now I'm stuck. 

lots of other weird stuff too...I was able to save the picture that I linked above...but when I tried to do a screenshot of the microsoft update stuff I can no longer save onto my hard drive, it says the drive cannot find the sector requested.

I cleaned things with several malware scans including malwarebytes.

any suggestions?  I'm about to throw my computer out the window I'm so frustrated.  I don't know if it is an issue with microsoft...or I have some major bug...

Help!  :)

« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 11:14:58 am by Disneyzell »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Help!
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2015, 09:52:56 am »
Where infections are concerned I prefer the free ESET Online Scanner http://www.eset.co.uk/Antivirus-Utilities/Online-Scanner

Click on Advanced and check all of the boxes then disable your AV program immediately before you hit the Scan button.

There's also a box to check for its auto uninstall on completion and don't forget to turn your AV back on after.

I think I'd also run a chkdsk without any parameters to see if it reports any further remedial action as infections can cause file corruption.

Offline Disneyzell

• View Profile
eset tells me that it can't download and wants to know if my proxy is open (no idea what that means, i killed kaspersky).  tried in IE and in Chrome.  chkdsk doesn't run it says it is not available for RAW drive.

Offline Disneyzell

• View Profile
Re: Help! potential issues with windows update to microsoft office
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2015, 11:14:40 am »
OK...well I rebooted and checkdisk ran successfully and looks like that fixed whatever the issue was. thanks for your help.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: Help! potential issues with windows update to microsoft office
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2015, 01:39:53 pm »
OK...well I rebooted and checkdisk ran successfully and looks like that fixed whatever the issue was. thanks for your help.

Sounds like the problems are related to bad sectors on the hard drive, which if that is the case then it is time to replace the hard drive. You should be able to find the chkdsk log in the event viewer, can you find it and post it for me so I can see if it found any bad sectors?

Shane

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
If you ran the chkdsk in read-only mode then it wouldn't have fixed anything.