Author Topic: Failure to complete permission reset w7  (Read 9034 times)

Offline irotkovitz

• View Profile
Failure to complete permission reset w7
« on: March 06, 2015, 09:59:17 pm »
I have run tweaking.com several times in the past and it always completed successfully.  Last night, ran it and it hung on first option to reset permissions.  Waited several hours and program was just hung and would nolt proceed.  Checked MS website and they have a program that creates a reset.cmd file but when I run it it doesn't do anything.  The cmd prompt screen shows for a millisecond or two and nothing happen.  Could really use some help returning my system back to normal.

Thanks

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Failure to complete permission reset w7
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2015, 02:22:14 am »
First of all, why did you need to run Windows Repair ?

Restore points to prior a problem are usually a first step before any Fixits and a system image created on external media is the next, but you obviously have neglected those.

Offline irotkovitz

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2015, 01:18:42 pm »

I periodically run tweaking.com to ascertain my system is performing optimally.  I did not mention anything about Windows Repair unless tweaking.com is a repair program.    System hung on permission reset.  I then tried to restore (have 9 restore points) and that caused system to hang again.  Tried from safemode and regular windows mode.  Did not apply any fixits.  I have a system image from 2/9/15 but did not want to go back that far.  I didn't neglect the normal things so I wrote to bleepingcomputer to ask a question. 

Ivan

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2015, 02:39:16 pm »
When the permissions repairs are ran the setacl exe from the files folder is used, can you check to see if it is running in the task manager? And if it is it should be using cpu, and of course safe mode with networking is the best place to run the repairs so that no 3rd party programs will get in the way :wink:

Shane

Offline irotkovitz

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2015, 05:06:20 pm »
Shane:

Thanks for your reply.  I downloaded Tweakingfilepermissionreset program from your site and ran it.  It completed successfully.  I didn't know where in the task manager to look for the setad.exe program.  Is it always present or does it only exist when trying to reset permissions.  I am going to create a restore point and try to restore to it.  The failure of the restore is what prompted me to write.  Thanks for taking an interest in my problem.  It was certainly the most constructive response from the forum. 

Will let you know of I got restore back.

Thanks again.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2015, 05:16:56 pm »
I need to update those tools, they are behind. Grab my Windows Repair program and run the permissions from there, I have updated it a lot in that one. I will get the individual ones on the site updated soon :-)

Shane

Offline irotkovitz

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2015, 04:46:39 pm »
Thanks Shane.  I did download the repair program and it ran fine.  Was able to create system restore points after I did the repair.  Thanks again for a wonderful program.

Ivan