Author Topic: Old Window XP Computer  (Read 10779 times)

Offline Godzooky

• View Profile
Old Window XP Computer
« on: December 30, 2014, 11:54:54 am »
 :confused:The local university gave me this computer. It's Windows XP. I know Microsoft is serving them anymore, but it'll have to do until I can get a better computer. There's so many things wrong with it I don't know where to begin. I simply want it to be at its peak capacity until I can get a replacement. Is there anyone who can do a remote repair for free or low cost?

It'a a WinBooks 8050d. No access to add/remove windows components. No way to search for help. No volume control. Freezes on me. Can't use flash drive or CD-ROM. I can neither do a factory reset nor clean install. Both are missing from the computer and I was given no discs of any kind with the computer.

Mickey
« Last Edit: January 01, 2015, 10:28:50 am by Godzooky »

Offline Samson

• View Profile
Re: Old Window XP Computer
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2014, 03:36:29 am »
Make and model if a store bought machine would help, or the basic specs.

A brief summary of your problems too.

Sometimes the quickest and most effective resolution is a factory reset or a clean install.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2015, 02:13:36 am »
Hi, God
                 You could use the Win XP system as long it lasts. Only thing is microsoft would not give any solution to the Problems of XP users. There will be no fixit or updates for this OS from Microsoft. But there are so many sites that could cure any problem, including this forum. But XP has some weakness that it is easily compromised on net work connections. If you take extra care of updating your antivirus, ccleaner and lot of other useful programs, you need not worry. Avast is a free antivirus effectively safe guarding your computer. By specifically browsing safe sites, you could learn lot about of those advices including ask me leo sites, where lot of tips are being given for common issues

The Bottom line is "Check your hardware first if it supports the task you try".

Offline Samson

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2015, 04:09:08 am »
Well, there is the trick to get updates until April 2019  :wink:
http://www.ghacks.net/2014/05/24/get-security-updates-windows-xp-april-2019/

Not recommended by MS, but they would n't, would they.

Also, keep Flash updated (although it's need is diminishing with HTML5 more prevalent).
Uninstall Java if you don't need it (most don't need it).
Use a decent firewall, router and software.
Keep you AV updated.
Run your browser (any but IE) in a sandbox, and you will certainly reduce the risks associated with using XP.

Despite all the predictions, the tidal wave of attacks and infections targeting XP have failed to materialize so far.

Offline Samson

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2015, 02:13:41 pm »

It'a a WinBooks 8050d. No access to add/remove windows components. No way to search for help. No volume control. Freezes on me. Can't use flash drive or CD-ROM. I can neither do a factory reset nor clean install. Both are missing from the computer and I was given no discs of any kind with the computer.

Mickey

I nearly missed your specs and problems because you added them to your first post  :wink:

Assuming that you can get online with the problematic machine? Then try Shane's Windows Repair AIO, be sure to follow the instructions for performing a clean boot before running repairs, and create a registry back up too.

http://www.tweaking.com/content/page/windows_repair_all_in_one.html

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2015, 01:24:45 am »
Hi, Samson \    It seems that Godz has defects in his OS. Most of the menus, he mentioned related to OS files.
The Bottom line is "Check your hardware first if it supports the task you try".

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2015, 05:56:34 pm »
Sounds like windows needs to simply be reinstalled, but before you do that I would first test the hard drive for any bad sectors. First thing I do on old systems :wink:

Shane