Author Topic: How post replies. New member.  (Read 11079 times)

Offline FirstSpear

• View Profile
How post replies. New member.
« on: January 08, 2014, 01:30:59 am »
Heyho. Just registered. I am logged in. I was viewing thread, "AVAST FREE latest edition slowed computer."
I wanted to ask a further question prompted by the responses, but I searched everywhere on both pages of the topic, from top to bottom, and there is no Reply button anywhere. I notice there is a closed padlock to the left of the topic title bar next to Author, on each page, but nowhere does it state that the thread is closed. The last post in the thread was May 2013, which makes it too young to close. I went to my email to see if a further registration step was needed, but no. I did that because the bottom of the New Topic page contained the same three verification boxes that I registered with. I've never seen further verification steps in any other forum, once logged in with Username and Password.
Advice appreciated.

Offline Samson

• View Profile
Re: How post replies. New member.
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2014, 03:42:23 am »
Hi FirstSpear,

A padlock symbol at the end of a thread title shows that it has been locked/ closed. This is the case in the thread that you mention. Best for you to start a new thread with your problem.

Samson.

Offline FirstSpear

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2014, 05:08:53 am »
Hokely dokely. Ta.

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2014, 06:29:18 am »
A thread is (automatically) closed after 30 days.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2014, 02:53:44 pm »
I have threads close automatically after 30 days of no replies.

I do this to keep people from posting on old threads. I like each user to have thier own thread so i can keep track of what I have each user doing, if anything it is for my benefit so I dont get mixed up on who i have doing what lol

Shane

Offline FirstSpear

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2014, 04:01:20 pm »
Hi Shane, and thanks for your response.

It's your site, and your rules stand. I have no idea whatsoever about what is involved in running such a site. It seems to me that expecting yourself to monitor all traffic is an administrative task of unreasonably enormous proportions bordering on the impossible. Nevertheless, I would offer the following.

I regularly respond to threads many years old. Up until 2005 I was using Windows 98SE, from which I moved to XP. So you can see that answers to any questions posed would likely go back many years. And they did. Further, I am a fiddler, a messer abouter, a hobbyist. I have boxes of bits containing old stuff that every now and then ignite my interest, and necessitate searches for advice. For instance: a real recent example.

I have several old internal DVD drives, all dated 2004. I needed to know the capabilities of each - I was having problems with one of them. A search for information for a particular model initially proved fruitless. I persevered. During the course of my lengthy search I came across others seeking the same information, with the same (lack of) success. Some of these threads were very, very old.  E  v  e  n  t  u  a  l  l  y, after much time I discovered that that model was more readily known to the industry by a different name and number. I then quickly located the manual and got the information I wanted. I was then able to go back to those unsolved threads and post this new revealing information - only to those that weren't closed, of course. I posted this new information not necessarily to inform the original poster of the question - who had likely given up and moved on, but to ensure that the information was available, via the work of the same spiders that directed me to those threads and presented them in my browser, to anyone else seeking the same information in the future. Information never dies. There are still millions of people using Windows 98SE, and, of course, 98 and 95; and maybe there exists in a city-forest somewhere a tribe that communicates exclusively using DOS - which is just like Linux but with different commands.

You choose to use time as the endpoint. Logically this is clearly wrong. (Here I must state that I acknowledge your right to do with your site as you wish, without judgement - seriously.) But the only true closure for any thread of any age can only be solution. If the thread is not solved then it remains open in actual fact regardless of administrative requirements or actions.

Closed threads to which I could supply useful information make me feel disappointed. I suspect, though, that if contributors discovered that their closed threads could have, by remaining open, provided them with solutions, would be more than a titchy bit annoyed.

Just saying. Good site. Don't hate me. I'd like to stick around.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2014, 06:32:49 pm »
Just saying. Good site. Don't hate me. I'd like to stick around.

Not at all, you where kind and speaking your opinion, I respect that :-)

It is a double edge sword really with the locking and not locking of threads.

In this case you make a valid point of, if you have an answer for that locked thread you cant post! Which I totally agree with.

At the same time I help a lot of people and to keep track of what i have people doing it is always best that each person has their own thread and not have me try to help multiples in one thread. So on old posts I like to keep people from posting. But again on only answered and solved posts.

So now it comes down to keep track of what post need to be closed and what can stay open and all of this. So I had to go a middle ground of auto locking old threads that no one has answered to in a while. It would be nice to find a better middle ground, but I havent looked into it just yet. A perfect middle ground I would say is where unanswered or unfinished problems stay open, even if the orignal poster has never come back and then finished and solved problems get closed. But right now the only way to make that happen is to either monitor them all or have the user lock the thread. But some users are here for help dont know how to do that.

Right now users can lock their own threads, but the settings dont offer one that says can unlock any thread. Otherwise I could just give unlock power to normal users, but right now I cant.

So in the mean time if you do find an answer to a locked thread all you have to do is ask and I will unlock it :-)

Shane

Offline FirstSpear

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2014, 01:36:27 pm »
Hello again Shane.

"So in the meantime if you do find an answer to a locked thread all you have to do is ask and I will unlock it :-)"

That's the perfect solution for both your, and  poster's requirements. Talking, eh?

Make it a noticeable sticky, maybe - "Request a Thread Unlock", with instructions. Brill.

I'll stick around then, huh.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2014, 04:47:22 pm »
Welcome to the forums :-)

Bring cookies.

Shane